Skip navigation

no spam, unsubscribe anytime.
Skip navigation

My story

Hi I'm charlotte and I'm 18 years old.

It was march 2009 when I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I had no idea that it was this until the doctors told me and then I had to be taken straight into hospital.

I had loads of symptoms like going to the toilet a lot, drinking a lot, weight loss and most of all pains in my pancreas which was one of the first symptoms I had but like I said none understood what was wrong with me, until my nan told my mum to get me into the doctors as soon as possible.

From this very day I blame myself for this but I get told you can't bring it on by yourself. I can't remember a lot because I was only young but it is not nice to experience going through so much pain. The constant finger pricks and injections you have to go through every single day, also the low numbers where I feel so weak that I just can't do anything but I can I have to keep fighting through all the days I wanna give up on, and I hate being different but having diabetes is okay it shows I am strong and that it's okay to be yourself!

Now I am honestly just wishing for a cure for all diabetics

Shropshire, United Kingdom


I found out I was diabetic at age 12. Passing out at school then going to the doctor and then having to go to the childrens in AR at 12 was a very scary thing. I didn't know how I was going to make it. I stayed to myself for years. I am 17 years old now about to start my senior year I'm just now starting to open up. I do basketball, track, cross country and cheerleading in school I went to state last year in track for the 2 mile. I learned after that pushing yourself and never giving up gets you somewhere. I am still having high a1c as high of 12.1. Fighting to get better and healthier is my goal and to never giving up on myself and never doubting who I am. I am way stronger then I thought I was. Diabetes is a life long job 24/7 never stopping. Taking shots and prinking my finger everyday does get annoying but it's part of my life and always will be. There are some days the high numbers make me feel bad and I just wanna give up I am just done with diabetes but I make it through the day because I know there's a tomorrow and it will be better. The low numbers where I feel so weak I just can't do anything but I can I have to keep fighting through all the days i wanna give up on and I make it through it because I know there's going to be a good day. I hate being different in a crowd but I know now being different and having diabetes is okay it shows I am strong and that it's okay to be yourself.

Greenbrier, AR

Don't Let Type 1 stop you!!

Jadyn was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 5. She is now 17 and has not let being type 1 hold her back. She has played and lettered in three high school sports Volleyball, Basketball and Track throughout high school so far . What this amazing girl goes through to play sports and manage her disease is hard. This year Jadyn went to State for track competing in the 4x1 relay. Her dedication to be there everyday no matter how she is feeling and give it her all is an inspiration to everyone! She is proof to all type 1 diabetics - you can do it!!!

Seattle, WA

Destry James

My little chunky bug was diagnosed on 04/24/2006. It was precisely seven days before his sixth birthday (May 1st, 2006). My ex-husband had our two children for his weekend and notified me upon dropping them off that our son had been EXTREMELY thirsty for water. He wasn't a big water fan at that time, however, our daughter really only drank water. He (my ex) also told me our son had been up and down all night, using the bathroom......I just knew. I knew right after he stated these things, I just knew. I have had some extensive medical training and I. Just. Knew. I called our doctor and took him in and obviously, the very first thing they did was check his blood sugar. The meter they used had a "limit" (anything over 600, just read HI). I freaked out bc I knew. He told me to take him to the children's hospital emergency right that second. The easy part was actually his early years. Now, he's 17 and from the time he turned 11, it's been a nightmare. He has deliberately overdosed on insulin or just the opposite. I know what this disease does and I have had a hard time paying for his insulin and supplies as well. We've been discriminated against in the most obscene ways and at one point I thought I might have to send him into state care just to keep him alive!

Taylor, MI

c'est la guerre

I was diagnosed T2 on Friday, 7 May 2004. The clinic had bled me for blood work about 8:35 am. The results were not back when my annual physical came about 1 pm. My MD did not expect anything untoward and went ahead with the physical. About 4:30 pm, I was at work when my MD called and basically blurted out "You're a diabetic!" Neither of us were expecting that and he scheduled me to come in the following Monday. He had me pay $84 for a blood meter and told his nurse to teach me how to use the lanclet to take a blood sample.

My Father and youngest brother were both T1 and have since died of congestive heart failure. I have had heart surgery so this is a sensitive subject for me.

There have to be hundreds of diabetics in town but there are no support grooups that I know of. ( have been in 5 that folded.) I know of several diabetics but we simply don't discuss it. I suspect folks think talking about being diabetic are seen as boasting or are asking for help. My parents taught me that talking about personal problems was the cheapest way of seeking attention. Talking simply isn't done!

I do what I can and hope for good results.

c'est la guerre

Dodge City, KS

3 months old

Hi, my name is Dan Meharg. I was born in London, Ont July 26, 1961. My mother was told I was the 1st baby born with type 1 diabetes and lived. I am 55 years old now, struggling with this disease, heart failure, almost lost my legs 3 years ago. The eyes don't work as good as they should but I just keep fighting. I have 3 children, 2 are girls, my oldest daughter became diabetic at 4, any youngest daughter at 10 years. I have seen so many changes over the years, how things have changed from when I was a child. It is a battle everyday wanting to be normal like all the other people. But we just have to keep going! I hope some day there is a cure, not for me but for my daughters and everyone else!

Dan Meharg
Kazabazua, QC, Canada


When I was 15, I got mono. I had it for 7 months straight, and it was a living nightmare. I wasn't able to go to school, go outside, eat... I played video games, watched tv, and slept. If I tried to eat anything, I would get sick. I couldn't even eat a baby frosty from Wendy's. I was living on drinking Ensures pretty much that entire time. I was about 5'3" and I had lost a total of 14lbs. I weighed 88lbs then. After the 7 months, I started feeling a lot better. I was able to start going back to school, attend classes, and be normal. However, since I had been sick for so long, I had started being overly aware of when I was feeling bad. After about 2 months, I started drinking 8 bottles of water a night, urinating a lot, losing more weight, getting a terrible headache and feeling sick whenever I ate food and feeling "out of it" whenever I did some sort of exercise and didn't eat right away. I started immediately researching what was wrong with me, and diabetes popped up in all of my searches. I had all of the symptoms, I was completely convinced I had diabetes, I just wasn't sure what type. I told my family to take my to my pediatrician because I needed to get medication and start treating myself. They blew me off saying I was still crazy from the mono. 13 days after my 16th birthday, I finally got them to take me to my doctor. Before we got there, to be shown how wrong I was going to be, they got me a hot fudge sundae. I bet them $10 I would be diagnosed with diabetes. I told my doctor of my suspicion when I arrived and she did a urinalysis. Type 1 diabetes confirmed. Nemours Hospital pronto. It has been 8 years since that day, and my family doesn't doubt me when I say I feel sick now. I was the one who diagnosed myself. I still haven't gotten my $10 though...

Destin, FL

Ruby - Diagnosed Type 1 a day before her 1st Birthday

Ruby is and has always been a super happy little girl. On 19th June 2009 Lucy (Mother) took Ruby to the gp. 2 weeks before this Ruby had a viral infection and was given antibiotics, once she had finished the antibiotics she started wetting through her nappies at an alarming rate. During the night she was wetting through her nappies and bed linen 3 times a night. Her fluid intake increased so much she was drinking more then both her parents. Having known what her father went through when he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes it was obvious to Lucy what was going on. At the gps office it was a hard battle for a blood test let alone getting them to see she was diabetic. At last we got a nurses appointment for a finger prick test. After 3 tests the nurses left the room without saying a word. Moments later a senior nurse came in. 'We dont know what to do' were the first words out of her mouth. Ruby was sent to the hospital with Addenbrookes and Great Ormond Street on standby. Needless to say it was scary. Ruby was still a happy little girl through it all which is why they wouldnt believe she was diabetic. Her sugars were off the charts yet she was still playing and happy. After being a guinea pig with tests, iv lines galore and slipping into a ketoasidosis coma Ruby was eventually realeased from hospital on 4 injections a day. After 6 months of trial and error Ruby was given an insulin pump to help make her blood sugars stable. Its not been smooth sailing since either but Ruby has stayed positive. We have nearly lost her several times over the years from Ketoacidosis. Ruby is a fighter.

Lucy Dunne
King's Lynn, United Kingdom

But I am to old to be a T1D

My son was Dx with T1D when he was 11...all the signs were there. As a mom it was difficult to watch him go through all the training and hear the questions he had as we all trained to be there for him. I was prepared to be the best support I could be...I was 32 when he was diagnosed.

Fast forward to 2010, I was 47 just retired from the Air Force Reserves, and I was proud that I stopped smoking. But I was losing weight, and using the bathroom all the time... I could barley move I was SO trired. I was scared that I had something caused by smoking. When I finally went in for my physical, my Dr said I was very healthy as far as all my test could tell, except my A1C was 16.6 and my fasting BG was 465...I was lucky to be upright. he did a C-Peptide test ( 0.51-2.72 nano-grams per milliliter (ng/mL is normal range) and I came back with a .03. He said I believe you are a T1D and am referring you to an Endo. The first words out of my mouth were...But I am to old to be a T1D...Now I know what my son went through, He handled everything like a champ and inspired me to do the same. I have since diagnosis and with the help of my other son,Run three half marathons, 17 Tough Mudder Obstacle Course events, and multiple 5k, 10k and 15k races.

My next challenge is Toughest Mudder an 8 hour overnight obstacle course run. While I don't win any of the races by the clock, each and every one is a win for me, because I won;t let diabetes get me down, and I won't let my son down.

Tracy Clare
Dayton, OH

Jake's Story

Jake had just turned 2 when I noticed the increase in diaper changes. We had just moved and I hadn't taken him to our new pediatrician yet so when he started vomiting, we went to the ER. We were sent home with a "virus".

A few hours later when his vomit was almost black and constant, we returned to the ER where I pushed the doctor to run some tests. After some back and forth, I was told that it was unfair of me to put my baby thru testing just because I "wanted" something to be wrong with him.

We returned home and I had Jake in the bath. He took the bucket I used to hold his bath toys and filled it under the faucet. He then tipped his head back and gulped the whole thing down.

I called the office for the pediatrician we were planning to use and was told she was out of the office, but we could see her partner.

We went in, Jake was lethargic and after weighing him, had lost 8 pounds. I explained to the doctor what his symptoms were and what had happened at the ER. I told him that I had no idea what was wrong but I knew it wasn't a virus and that this was not my baby boy. I knew nothing about diabetes then but said I remembered from pregnancy excessive thirst and urination could be signs of diabetes

They did a finger poke, the meter just read HIGH

Within 30 minutes, we were at Children's Hospital where his blood glucose came up as 798. He was no longer conscious. Thankfully, they started an insulin drip that prevented any damage.

Jake just turned 13 and is a happy and healthy teenager. He wears a pump and nothing stops him.

I thank God every day that I didn't let them tell me I was crazy. We would have lost him!!

Tracy Stewart
Bellevue, NE
25 Percent Off the Holiday Category
Share this page and help fund research: